Government launches A Plan to Stay Open
The Ontario Government launched A Plan to Stay Open strategy. It contains a recap of the steps taken to date and intentions relating to:
- Expanding Ontario’s health workforce
- Introducing a new Ontario “Learn and Stay” Grant
- Supporting foreign trained medical professionals
- Supporting the retention of PSWs and nurses
- Expanding medical schools
- Investing in clinical education
- Investing in mental health for front line workers
In addition, the government identified their goal to increase hospital and long-term care beds, improve PPE reporting and accountability, and ensure essential food supply.
The Plan to Stay Open
focuses on nurses, PSWs and doctors only. OSOT has expressed concern with this in a letter to the Ministry of Health
and will continue to advocate for recognition and inclusion of occupational therapy in improving health care and the health care system.