Funding for OT Services

Occupational therapy services can be accessed in both the public and private health care systems:

  • OT services may be accessed in the following sectors funded by provincial health insurance:

    • Hospitals/Rehabilitation Centres
    • Family Health Teams
    • Community Health Centres
    • Assertive Community Treatment Teams (ACT Teams)
    • Home and Community Care Support Serivices - provide access to OT for eligible clients in clients’ homes or schools and some long-term care homes. 

  • Individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents in Ontario may access OT services funded by the provincial no-fault insurance provisions of auto insurance.

  • Individuals injured on the job or who experience work-related illness may access OT services funded by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

  • Veterans Affairs Canada funds eligible OT services.

  • Some extended health insurance plans will provide coverage for OT services.  If services are not covered clients are encouraged to contact their employer and the insurance company through which their policy is held. View sample letter to employer and sample letter to insurance company.

  • When OT services are not funded through an insurance or benefit program, clients may seek to secure OT services privately. Occupational therapists in private practice who accept client inquiries or referrals may be accessed through the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists' Find an OT Service.